Saturday 8 January 2011

No mat today Saturday

Last night I got drunk. It was quite by accident but as a result I decided that it would be a bad idea to attempt the yoga in heat (or is that on heat? see below) so will go tomorrow instead. I have practised a tricky manoeuvre in the privacy of my room and will unleash that now I feel confident I can actually do it.  I had decided before the booze fuelled evening to scrap the 30 consecutive days idea by the way because I want to keep up my gym visits too and there's no way I can do both. Oooh but weirdly the excess weight that appeared over night - it disappeared over night! Yesterday there it was but today it vanished! Hurrah!
So, where was I? Sweating my ass off I believe... I went to Bikram Yoga again Thursday morning and there wasn't much room to place my mat. I found a little space and then guess what, Adonis in lycra pants arrived and put his mat next to mine. Luckily (?) a latecomer squeezed herself between the two of us and I was spared his buttocks in my face.

He's a gentleman; he held the door open for me as we left.
The next morning he again pitched up next to me close enough that no-one else could fit. I ended up moving mine forward a little before the Asana that would have me facing his behind.
We almost spoke as we sat side by side putting our shoes on but all I could think was how red, sweaty and hideous I looked. Maybe next time I will smile.

I embarked on the chore of flat viewing yesterday. Good god it should be a punishable crime to live in such grime. Some people have absolutely no shame. If I owned a property that wasn't being maintained I'd be furious. The first one was a lovely house on a lovely street but inside it was the pits. There was no sofa just foam blocks on a wooden slat. It was in an appalling state of filth and way overpriced. I told the agent to tell the landlord exactly that as I left.
The second was very quiet but not close to any local amenities - apart from bars. Lots of bars in fact. It backed on to Holloway Prison. That possibly makes it one of the safest neighbourhoods but it was awful. There were no redeeming factors and again over priced.
The 3rd I was quite excited about and still am because it's in the heart of Camden with one and a half bedrooms. It didn't disappoint. Well no that's a lie, it did disappoint HUGELY but the potential was there. The current tenants are obviously pigs and the sofa (at least there was one) needs to be set alight and thrown out. Size wise it was perfect but the bathroom left a lot to be desired. It turns out the agent has 2 more identical so am viewing those next week because if the bathrooms are better in either I think I may have found me a new gaff. The second bedroom that the agent told me not to get excited by, I got excited by. It's not a second bedroom (single sized) but *drum roll* an office. It would mean that my writing would have its own place to be created and that is invaluable so the astronomical cost would be worth it. Fingers crossed for that or at least my interlocked yoga fingers.

We're 8 days into the new year & it's been pretty productive so far. I know I need to save money for the flat but this weekend I managed to save £30 in Boots (on a 3 for 2 and £5 off combo) so with a Christmas gift voucher I got £75 worth of products for £44. I also saved £32 in the sale on fitness gear. Insert smug expression.
Having not smoked for a week I reckon that's a further £20 saved.
Slowly but surely I am working my way through a list of things to do that are essential and pretty big but I have been generously aided by friends. With their help I have either in part or in full solved deposit problem, computer issues, iPhone dilemma, flat decisions and car troubles. I am so grateful & thank them whole-heartedly.

When I move I will have to persuade those mates and more to visit me and stay in so that I am not giving extortionate amounts to the local pub as I did for the past 12 months. The fact that my rent will become the price of a holiday PER WEEK is insane enough but you can't put a price on the wanted & much needed solidarity of my own space.

2011 will have to be the year of budgeting, saving, cash back deals, Orange Wednesdays, 2 for 1, buy one get one free, kgb deals, groupon and Quidco. Hmmm, it's also the year of the rabbit. Given that's cockney rhyming slang for talk, I think I'll be ok...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Debs! I wouldn't worry about skipping a class. After about a year of practicing Bikram I'm still on the lesser known "once-a-week" challenge:)...And anyway, for us smaller-endowed girls, I think the large boobages just get in the way of a good salabhasana/locust pose anyway!! ~CPingKelly from Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a 30 day membership and the idea is to go every day but I just can't fit it in every day! Funnily enough I was going to mention in the next blog that it would shock people that know me that I went in a cropped top on Sunday. I too have big boobs - they don't get in the way too much thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so take a cellphone camera next time let us see this adonis/lycra guy huh???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debs, Did you get a new battery?? Hows the flat hunting going?? Looking forward to the next blog!!!

    ReplyDelete